About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

a Treat that Can't be Beat

~click on Any photo for a closer look~
A few days ago, I promised to show you what Bill did for me...
 He said, let's take a ride...
so through so much fall, winter, spring growth,
we rode down one of our less traveled paths 
in our woods,
past thick poplar growth, 
 so thick, we had to weave our way 
carefully past, so as Not to scratch the truck...
(not that it doesn't already have it's share of nicks.)
 The first food plot was already so thick
and in great need of it's first mowing
so the clover comes thick for the deer.
 He even stopped so I could zoom in on
a patch of orange and yellow Hawkweed, 
 and a hillside of Bunchberry blossoms.
 Bill's been so busy with the field work that
when rain was in the forecast, I was happy
to get out of my daily routine and
 ride along up my favorite less traveled drive
up and down the hills,
 around the bends, oh,
 to my favorite place in the world, 
our retreat that we have not retreated to
as often as we would like to.  No one ever
told us that retirement would be so busy.

 A calm comes over both of us the second we see 
our lil' cabin in the woods.
 Right next to the deck is a nice patch of
wild strawberries in full bloom.  I cannot 
wait to pick.  They are so intense in flavor,
Far better than any other...yet so tiny.
 He started a fire to enjoy while we listened 
to the creek and the birds enjoying it with us.
 There are always ' projects,' like the new seat
for the bench that did not get replaced last year,
and trees to harvest that strong winds had taken down.
Bill calls that, ' easy firewood.'
 My reclaimed Pink Rock shines since Bill dug
it out of the brush for me.  It's the size of our 
dining room table with one leaf in.  :)
 I'm not sure why, but somehow, 
everything looks so much brighter,
more intense, in the woods.
 I can never get enough of Murray!!!~
 Murray Creek, that is, 
 as she twists and turns...
 waiting, just waiting for the trout to jump,
or the frogs to jump off the shore for a swim.
 The rainbow colored area rug dries in the sunshine...
it once was under my Grandmother's rocker,
now it's the first thing my feet touch upon
getting out of the log bed when staying the night.
 One more look at Murray,
one more listen.
 Oh, no!  Take me back.  It's too soon to leave
our ' Creekside Retreat ' in the woods.

I always hate to admit it, but
we have to leave so we can come back.

Bless Ya
Come Back Again and Again

9 comments:

Paula said...

That water looks like it would be a delight to dip my toes in on a hot day. Do you ever?

Cicero Sings said...

Oh, so looks like a place that can't be beat. Glad you got away for such a treat of a retreat.

E.C. said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful peaceful treat to your retreat. Your photos and thoughts are wonderful. :)

Muffy's Marks said...

Your retreat is so special, and I'm glad you took the time to get out there again. It looks like a wonderful place to put your feet up and kick back. Let the memories sustain you until you return again!

Chatty Crone said...

You know in all the time we have been talking - I have seen your gorgeous cabin in the woods - you should be a writer there girlfriend. And I hope your back was okay off the beaten pack. Love the wood chair - he made that? Beautiful. sandie

jack69 said...

I can appreciate the 'lil' cabin after having the pleasure of seeing it first hand. You guys are amazing to have built this. I thought it was neat seeing the draw knife you skinned EVERY LOG with. YES such a beautiful tranquil place. Loved the visit and the pictures. I know you were glad to get out. I know the back brace is a pain, but hopefully the time will pass fast with such beauty to enjoy. (HUGS)

Dee said...

How fortunate to have such a lovely place to retreat to. :)

Lucy said...

Lovely pictures and explanations.

Bonnie K said...

You make me count my blessings, because we never have to leave our little cabin in the woods. I hope you get to spend more time there soon.