About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Starting from Seed

 Mr. Green Thumb has been in the house. 
 Early in April, a bit early for me, but not my Mr., Bill started planting seeds in tiny trays, filling not just one but several...at a time.  (I just knew he was up to something when he asked me to order a ' grow light ' ).
Soon he had tomatoes, 3 varieties of which he forgot to mark, bell peppers, sweet yellow banana peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, a couple varieties of cabbage, cucumbers and cantaloupe. 

 Hey, slow down fella, we've never done this before!
 The following morning, he was checking under the grow light where his seed trays lay, to see, if by some miracle, he had success after one day.  He'd mist daily, but lightly, until finally he began to see tiny green shoots showing themselves. 

Hey, this is getting exciting.  Next he transplanted each one into 3 and 4 inch pots as each plant had sets of 4-6 leaves.  It didn't take as long as we thought, in fact, we were surprised as to how fast these seedlings were growing.  As they grew out of the small pots, again they were transplanted into 1/2 gal. pots where they will stay until the day they are planted in our gardens outside.  That will be next week as we are predicted to get a couple quite chilly nights this weekend.  It will mean covering his prizes or bringing them back inside a couple nights.  
 I've helped with transplants and labeling, but these are his babies.  On cold mornings he'd even start a fire in the woodstove to keep the house and his tomatoes warm.

This past week he has been ' hardening them off ' or taking them outside to reach for real sunshine and acclimate to the weather.  It's been nice out so they've spent the nights camping out under the stars.  On windy days, he puts them on the floor of the deck, heaven's forbid, should one fall off the table and break.  

Weather permitting, we will have tons of tomatoes, plenty for canning this fall.  But what I'm anxious for is the wonderful, fresh taste of a warm, ripe thick slice of tomato the size of my hand between two slices of multi-grain bread with Miracle Whip and a shake of salt and pepper....mmmmmm, mmmmmmmmmm!!!

 Look who already found his way into Bill's garden...
this little fella is so small that he can crawl right through a 4" x 4"inch wire fence.
He can't be more than a few days old and already so strong.  Such a sweet lil fawn.

 There he is again, trying to hop through the grass across the field behind his Mama.

Just a bit of what we've been up to this early spring.  I'll keep unfolding the garden story as we try to make it grow.  Til then, we need more sunshine and rain in the little bit at a time, like we've been getting.    Our prayers for all of you who have so much more to worry about than a toppled tomato plant.   Bless you all from the north.

10 comments:

Paula said...

Thank you for the comment and nice to see you back. Looks like that grow light would be fun to have and especially in your cold country.

jack69 said...

I'm with Paula. 'Amen'.
YOu make me want a REAL GOOD tomato in the worst way. That is so much work, but for sure a jump on getting them in the ground and from seeds. Good stuff for FArmer Bill, I see him SMILE at least once a day on my screen saver.
Love and hugs from the mountains of NC where it is still Pollen season here in the hills.

Chatty Crone said...

Very impressive - it looks like a ton of work, yet soooooooooooooo rewarding. Those plants look wonderful - what a great idea and this protects them from the outside elements and gives them a great start.

That little fawn is adorable. So cute.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

So glad to hear from you.. I wondered how you and the family were doing so far this year. We here in TN had a rough winter this year... We didn't get snow much---but lots of ICE and damage from the broken poles/trees, etc.. We were without electricity for 50 hours here--but many people were MUCH worse off than us... Glad that winter is over.

Your hubby and his babies.. Hope you have lots of great tomatoes this year. Bet you will. My hubby has 'his' babies also---his Roses. They are really looking great so far... Even after the harsh winter, things are bouncing back really well... Oh how I love spring.

That little fawn is adorable.

Hugs,
Betsy

TexWisGirl said...

glad you are well! and growing things like crazy! that little fawn is adorable and tiny!

Shug said...

Awesome.....this is true gardening....from start to finish! Now...to keep the deer out away!!

Can wait to see the harvest!!

hugs,
Shug

Cher' Shots said...

So we made it to the first day of Summer ... it might (I repeat, might) be safe enough to finish putting your plants in the ground. Hopefully the frosts are done until late fall. But that 37 degrees a couple of nights ago had me wondering.
'love & hugs from afar'

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Dar, Of course I remember you... How are you? I remember your sister also---who used to blog. I remember when she went to our favorite place in Arkansas (Mt. Nebo) on her way to Texas.

I was diagnosed with A-Fib in January --so it's been a battle for me (since I cannot be as active as I used to be)... I'm on medications --which have side effects.. That's not fun ---but my heart rate is better... Fun Fun....

Why don't you start blogging again? We need to catch back up...

Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

So Colorful and attractive......
I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job!

If you are looking About Perfect Money Apk, then Perfect Money Apk 2021 Latest Version 2021 is one of the best website. You must check it out.

Anonymous said...

a bathing ape
kd 12 shoes
jordan shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
golden goose
yeezy boost 350 v2
lebron 16
golden goose outlet
yeezy 700
yeezy 500