About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Bread Pudding with Mom's Lemon Sauce

Of all the comfort foods, as a dessert, Bread Pudding is one of our family favorites.  I had so many butter rolls left over from Christmas that it seemed, just the right way to use them up.  Nothing is finer than a square of warm Bread Pudding with Mom's Lemon Sauce.
 This is one of the many recipes for bread pudding that I have used, however, I usually just 'wing it' and don't use a recipe at all.
I'll throw this one down for you, should you want to use it.  It came out of my 'Grandma's Great Desserts' recipe book, and it's a good one, sure to please.  It will send drifts of cinnamon and raisins baking all throughout your home, better than any scented candle.
The only thing I changed about this recipe was the sauce and the type of bread used.   
Mom's Lemon Sauce

1 2/3 cups water
3-4 Tblsp. Lemon Juice, preferably fresh or
2 tsp. (lemon extract) I used both)
2 Tblsp. cornstarch 
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

For sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan.  Stir in the water, cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes once it begins to bubble.  Remove from the heat.  Add the butter and lemon juice or extract.
Best served warm over warm bread pudding.


Mom liked her lemon sauce to have that golden glow so she also whisked in 1 egg yolk at the end, first tempering it with a couple Tblsp. of the hot liquid so as Not to scramble the egg.
It was always beautiful and so delicious.

Find one of your Comfort Food Recipes and go for it.
It will make your day.

BlessYourHeart

10 comments:

Gail said...

I have several end loaves from homemade bread all week.

I am so glad you shared this. I was just wishing for a recipe last night!

The names of my recipes change when they come here. I have Uncle Bill's Oatmeal Pie, Bonnie's Spice Pecans, Kenny's Sauerkraut salad, Carla's Candy and now I will add Dar's Bread Pudding. Thank you.

jack69 said...

Sounds delicious, and 'Golden Glow', matches your mom to a T.

Love ya and hope all is well after the Busy Christmas season....

Comfort food, sounds toooooo good!
(((HUGS))) from Orlando and the Christmas Season Crowd, and it is crowded....

imac said...

Scummy.
Happy New Year.

Shug said...

Mmmmm girl....now this is what I call some goooood eating!! Love Bread pudding and I always welcome new recipes for making it!! Thanks for sharing!!
Shug

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh I love Bread Pudding --especially that Cajun kind I used to eat in New Orleans. BUT---we never put lemon sauce on top... Bet that would be fabulous... YUMMMMMMMM....

Happy New Year to you and the family.
Hugs,
Betsy

Chatty Crone said...

Bread pudding - you know I had my first piece three years and now I love it - topped with lemon sauce - yum!

E.C. said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this tasty treat with us. Yummy! I love bread pudding. :)

Wishing you and your family a very safe & Happy New Year! :)

Dee said...

What would this world be with out comfort foods and passed down home recipes. :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Dar this looks yummy except for Gail's cooking:) it.
Happy New may your year be full of everything wonderful. Hug B

Sunny said...

OOh yeh! Bread pudding is fab! I think I may make some for my brother whils I am here visiting him in Arizona!