About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It Happens

Peep, peep, peep.  
Listen! It's coming from the garage~
Peep, peep, peep, peep.

Andy and Little Ben went to investigate and what did they find by the truck tire, but this Little Fella, still bald-headed, barely feathered, with no tail feathers for balance, and shaking like a leaf.  When Andy put his hand down next to him, he hopped up on his finger like he had just found his Mama, when, 
 really?  You didn't!~~~
  Little Guy was quickly forgiven.  Afterall, he was so scared.
He must have been trying out his wings and ended up in the garage instead of the tree.   After settling down, he tried flight again, from the garage door to the tree by the barn.  So determined, yet his little wings just were not ready to carry him to the lowest branches of the tree, as he glided to the flowerbed below.
This time, Young Ben found Little Guy among the grasses, offering his finger to hop onto, so he did.  Young Ben immediately fell in love with the little fella, wanting to take him home.  After explaining that his home was with his mother who would find him and feed him, Young Ben agreed he should stay in the tree.
 Up on the lowest branch, was where the Little Guy was carefully perched until he caught his breathe on such a hot day.  By the early evening, Mama Phoebe called, Little Guy answered and they were reunited.  Eventually, he found his way back to the safety of the Phoebe nest on the ledge inside of the barn.
Two days later, Little Guy is all feathered out, chirping from the highest branches and as happy as a baby bird should be.

Just Maybe, he will find a fine morsel like this one to feed on for days.  I found Ugly Dude in the water nearby.
Having never seen one, I had to do some extensive research on the Ugly Dude.  He measured at least 4 inches long and  nearly as wide with his legs outstretched.  His sucker lips were menacing as well as his stinger-like tail.  Creepy bug-eyes and pincer fingers kept me cautious.  At first I thought it was dead until I reached for it and it began to swim. 
 
Ok, I know you way southerners and tropic folks are laughing by now, but like I said, I have never seen one before.  We are not supposed to have this insect around here.  It's too cool for them,  but then, it has been tropical-like weather here since early summer.  I suppose it is the reason we are seeing so many different insects and  their habits than is expected.  

This peculiar fella is a Walking Stick.  They are know to play dead, the reason I thought he was.  And, it's a good thing I did not pick him up.  When they feel threatened, one of their defense mechanisms is to spray a fowl spray, precisely and successfully in the predators eyes.  I would have been the predator.  Ugly One's spray stings and can cause temporary blindness.  

There is no more tonight, nothing profound to share, just a day at Dar n' Bill's.  Back to the ' project ' at first light.
And so it goes in the country!

Thanks for stopping by
and
BlessYa

9 comments:

Paula said...

A precious picture of Little Ben and Little Bird. I've known about and seen Walking Sticks all my life but I never knew they spray.

Suz said...

I loved the bird story

jack69 said...

Such an experience for the boys. One thing you will do lady is teach 'LIFE'. I know you are a great 'Granny'. Ben, especially, will remember that forever.
the 'Walking Stick', my friend Don can play with these guys for hours, Even down here they are an oddity when spotted.

Love from Pennsylvania!!!

TexWisGirl said...

glad the little one made it back to safety!

Michelle said...

Sweet bird story. We have plenty of walking sticks around here! Kind of creepy!

Cher' Shots said...

We had a little siskin fluttering around the yard, on the patio, up onto the bench then off to the deck. It was cute as heck to watch. It too reunited with its mama but it certainly was trying its wings!
'love & hugs from afar'

~mel said...

A walking stick ~ are you serious that you've never seen one? They are all over the place - especially around the water. They've been here forever, not just because of the warmer weather. Just thought I'd give you the heads up on that:)

~mel said...

me again ... that's not a walking stick either ~ it's a water glider!

Lucy said...

I really like the bird story.That bird looked really small. Of course I am used to the big Robins and black birds.