About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

House Warming

How do you warm your house?
We bake, of course. There is nothing finer than warm Raspberry Doughgen for an excuse to turn the oven on and warm the house at the same time.
Several days a week, I have helping hands and these belong to Grandlove Ben.
Mmmmmmmmm, the juice is the best part.
While still enjoying the ovens warmth, why not whip up a kettle of Barley Beef (alias,Venison) Vegetable Soup for supper. Grab a spoon! This is chuck-full of everything from right here. My garden provided the potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, peas, green and yellow wax beans, and even the venison. Living off the land sure is satisfying and heart-healthy ta boot.
This brings to mind~~~do you have a favorite Stock Pot for cooking up your best ever soups and stews?
This old-timer is at least 50 yrs. old. I know it looks a wreck, but it is still the only one I reach for when ' souping and stewing.' This is the original cover, a domed one, that I Never use...it always boils over on me, no matter how much I turn the heat down or tilt the cover.
It's the only thing I have changed , was the lid. This glass one is vented and, tho it's newer, the handle broke. Improvised with a child's toy block, with the letter B, was a quick-fix during a soup-er day. Need it, want it, fix it, I always say. At an even closer look, you will see the handles are either missing or in really bad shape. Quite frankly, I just do not give a care. The handles do not the soup make. I'm not even sure what this kettle is made of, I'm thinking it is cast aluminum. All I know for certain is, it is my favorite, it makes the best of everything that hugs it's walls and it stays as long as I can still stir up trouble in the kitchen.
Oh, I'm sure the kids will laugh and shake their heads someday as they clean out our nooks and crannies. Some of them just may even remember me using that old-timer, but they won't relate it to those hearty winter-warming soups, stews, chili, they ate growing up.
So, do you have a favorite pot or pan? I'll bet you were never asked that before.

Stay warm, enjoy every bite and
BlessYourHearts

15 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

Love your old much loved pot! And this reminds me...I still have frozen raspberries in my freezer I need to use up.

Lynilu said...

LOL! Love the lid-fix! I say "whatever works!"

Paula said...

You just amaze me and I can almost smell your cookin' from here. I'm in love with my iron skillets I got at my wedding shower on February 14, 1956.

Fred Alton said...

Dar, you're an incredibly talented and creative lady. Yes, had a favorite pop-corn popping pot which was actually an old "deep well" that came built into an old cook stove we bought years ago. I guess it got sold in a yard sale when we moved to Africa about 22/23 years ago...but during the holidays my girls were talking about me using that old pot to pop corn for them often when they were growing up. Ben, your great helper, may remember more than you think. It will be fun to hear him tell the others in the family what delights you cooked up for him.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Your soup and Raspberry Doughgen looks delicious!!!
Would you share the recipe for the Doughgen?

jack69 said...

What a meal fit for Kings and Queens.

Don't have anything to compare with the history and love of that pot. One day as some day as some one looks thru YOUR STUFF they will say, Hey Lookee here, this is the pot that made the delicious--- stew that I loved. Oh Yes, I remember once she made that Raspberry doughgen and I got to drink the juice and eat the extra Raspberries, wow was that that long ago!

You know it, 'Bless your Heart' you are making the finest memories! Warming hearts and house!!!
This is a good 'un Dar!! Love from down here and wishing I had a bowl of that SOUP!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Yes I have an ugly pot I cook things in. The handle is coming apart. No lid for it but I use an old lid from a pot I no longer have. Oh that one went out to the duck house many years ago after I burnt something in it. Seemed to bad to get off. Really after the ducks ate cracked corn from it for so long it cleaned up. They can keep it for sure. All food your looks so yummy & Makes me hungry. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your vegetable soup made me hungry for the soup my mother used to make. Mom and I could eat a whole quart of the soup, no problem!

deb said...

Your food looks so yummy!
I have a little pot that my Mom used to always use. Love that little thing..it has so many memories
*hugs*deb

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

The soup looks and sounds wonderful. I would love to have a fav pot like that. I keep replacing mine to find just the right one. Still looking though. Grandlove Ben sure is a cutie! Ugh, Cher got me wanting to sniff stuff and now you have me hungry!

Cher' Shots said...

I have several 'favorite' pots and pans for certain things I 'bake and boil'... you know kind of like that cookbook you gave me several years ago called "Boilin' n Bakin' in Boogar Hollow"

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Dar, Those Raspberries look so good.... Your grandlove was enjoying them, wasn't he????? YUM...

And that soup looks tremendous... I love a good, hearty soup with all kinds of veggies.... Delicious!!!

Not sure what ever happened to my favorite skillet --but I had a cast iron one years ago which I loved... Somewhere along the line, I must have gotten rid of it.. But it was PERFECT--and I miss it now.

Hugs,
Betsy

Darcie said...

LOL,

That block handle has been on there as long as I can remember. And the soups were always great! Especially after cleaning the barn and blowing out and hauling in the water hose. :)

Love ya.

Sunny said...

Your food looks so delish! How do you make that raspberry doughgen? Stay warm up north there , ya hear??

Blessings,
Sunny

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

As I type this I see it's 18 degrees at your house at 6PM, it's 46 here. Snow is predicted. I didn't get your email with the recipe. My email is tappel@embarqmail.com
thanks Patti