About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pink Rainbow Sunset & Saurkraut

We have been having gorgeous sunsets.
Last night was no different except for this beautiful pink sunset rainbow.
Click any pic to enlarge for a much closer look.
The day was peppered with rain showers and sunshine.
Every time I attempted to take the 4-wheeler to the cabin where our GrandloveGirls were resealing the cabin outer logs, I got drenched.
After the 2nd attempt, I waited for Bill to get home from work for a dry ride. By then, of course, the girls had put the brushes away and given up to the rain., playing in it instead. That's what I would have done.
Thanks Hannah, Chloe and friend Chell!
Instead of the cabin run, I decided to cut the cabbage from the garden before the rains split more of it. Sure enough, half of them were already split, but still good for our saurkraut.
40 of the 46 1/2 pounds of cabbage went into the crock.
The heads were rock solid, the largest weighing 6 lbs. That was pretty good for early cabbage. Next year, I will try again, to find the Dutch Flatheads, which are our favorites for kraut. Then we will only need 2 or 3 heads to fill our 6 gal. Red Wing Crock instead of 7 of these little ones.
After washing and peeling the outer leaves from each head, they were cut into manageable sizes for the kraut cutter.
Being careful not to loose his finger tips on the sharp cutting blades, Bill pushed the cabbage box back and forth across the cutters until the cabbage is cut fine, landing in the lined crock below.
He moves so fast that I cannot get a clear picture for you, but I'm glad it's him doing the most strenuous part of this job. He's much stronger than I am and seems to love kraut cutting.
You ' go,' my man as I try to keep up with the prep work!~
Every couple of heads, he stops, sprinkles canning salt across the cut cabbage, and
stomps the cabbage until it juices and tastes ' just right '~~~
This is going to be an outstanding batch of saurkraut once again!
The next time you come, Jack and Sherry, remind us to share.
The large outer leaves that were removed and washed at the beginning of this process, are then put on top of the kraut,
weighted down with a plate and a saurkraut rock,
( doesn't everyone have a saurkraut rock? ),
and covered with a clean cotton dish towel for the next 10-12 days to ferment into that outstanding saurkraut.
You will know when it's ready~~~as the house begins to smell a bit on the sour side as you pass the crock.
Hope you enjoyed a days work from our garden.
As for the canning process of another winters supply of kraut for our chops, pork roast and potato dumpling feeds, and bratwurst~~~

To be continued~~~

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I love to hear what you think of what you take the time out of your day, to read.

Have a great one and
BlessYourHeart

Oh, in moderation, saurkraut is Good for anyones Heart. lol

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

my folks made kraut every year and the crock sat in our foyer. when my dates would come in to pick me up, they'd have to cross thru the kraut area - kind of a test as to how much they really liked me. ha!

Lucy said...

You all have it down to a science. The kraut cutter. I have never seen one. till now. I am not real fond of kraut but that cabbage cut open would make the best coleslaw, which I love. I love your blog. It is the most interesting one with all the pictures. I loved that first picture.. Take care and do not eat to much kraut.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Jill said...

I loved seeing you make your kraut. It's a first for me and it was so enjoyable. Thnaks!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

We make turnip kraut much the same way. If you have ever had that, you'll never go back to sauerkraut.
Instead of a kraut rock, we use a gallon milk jug full of water for a weight.
Hope it turns out good!
Patti

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I never realized that this is how kraut was made!...:)JP

Cher' Shots said...

We were just talking about making kraut ~ but unfortunately we didn't plant any cabbage. Maybe next year! But I sure am happy that Mom and Dad taught us how to make our own.
'love & hugs from afar'

jack69 said...

The kraut sure looks good, I know, it is the German heritage!!! I love raw cabbage. Mama never fixed Kraut, just cabbage. She gave me the inside stalks. Sherry still does.
The cabbage looks great and I do love to cut cabbage when it is solid.
I did't know there were different kinds of cabbage. I learn something every entry I think.
Hope Bill is doing well (also yourself, of course)
Take care, lot of folk needing the rain.
Love, Sherry and Jack
PS: As sherry was reading this (before I got here) I looked over and saw the wedge shaped rock and thought it was a big hunk of meat of some kind. (Coulda been, one never knows what one might see on your blog, LOL)

imac said...

Love that rainbow Dar.

Louise said...

Oh, memories! Our kraut crock was in the basement, and you could smell it every time you went down there. Strangely enough, it was my Irish Grandmother who made it. My Mom, of German ancestry, wouldn't touch the stuff.

Fred Alton said...

Hahahahahahaahahahaahahaha! Reading your story of making kraut brought back memories of our very first time to make it. In our early 20s, and pastoring our first church, someone brought us a bushel of cabbage from their garden. I dutifully washed, peeled the outside leaves off, chopped the cabbages up real fine (by hand with a small cutter about 4 inches in diameter. Took me a loooong time of working and sweating. Placed it all into our new crock, covered with the dish towel and set it back to ferment. When the proper amount of time had elapsed, Frances took the dish cloth off, smelled it, and said, "I'm pouring this out! This stuff is soured!!!" I could NOT convince her that that was the way it was supposed to smell. ☻

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What an awesome post, Dar. I love kraut --but never knew how it was made... That is awesome.

My mama used to fix us sauerkraut and weiners.... YUM.
Hugs,
Betsy

Paula said...

I'm not found of kraut but that cabbage sure would taste good with some sliced pickled beets, bell pepper, Miracle Whip and a few drops of the pickled beet juice.

Bonnie K said...

Sorry not a big kraut fan, but that rainbow photo is incredible! Great shot.

Clint said...

I think most folks who do not care for kraut have not had it made this way, or the way they serve it in Germany. It is sensational. My mouth is watering now.

Darla said...

Ya'll continue to amaze me with the things you make. I have never tried kraut although I love cabbage cooked or raw!

Cicero Sings said...

Loved the pink rainbow sunset! Unusual.

I love unfermented saurkraut! I've never made it myself and now that I'm just one again, I'm not tempted too ... I just don't eat enough of it. Super good for you though!