About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

GettinErDone

That's right! We are Gettin' Er' Done Again!

We are more exhausted than when we started but it's a that ' good ' exhaustion of accomplishing something together.
We are bedraggled from work, not play.
And~~~ we are not done yet.
Having a cabin is not just ' fun.'
It's work. Just like having a home, it takes periodic upkeep to maintain a livable grounds to enjoy.

We have been having trouble for a few years, as some of you already know, with little trouble-makers, or wood borers of which we have two different kinds. They leave little sawdust piles on the logs to show us just where they have been. Just one more time, I would like to catch them doing the actual damage. We have tiny holes all over the place, including inside, we now have found.
Upon closer inspection by a forester, we have been made aware that, these little pests, actually do not eat the wood from the inside, but rather, burrow about an inch in, lay their eggs, and leave.
Needless to say, it's still an ongoing job to keep them under control, at least on our cabin logs.
One of the culprits happened to fly by long enough for a fuzzy portrait.
This must be the female, as the hubby has a buzz saw on his rear that does the dirty work while she lays around~~~laying eggs and making the whole process endless, not to say her job is not important to her.
Another visitor, and there were plenty, was this fat dude. There ARE ways to control these unwelcome visitors~
GOTCHA!!!
Now, we could get down to business, first sweeping off all of the logs of dust bunnies, spider webs, sawdust piles, leaves, etc.,
set up scaffolding, high as ever! I do not do ' high,' and proceed with painting on the sealant for the logs which is also an insecticide, fungicide, clear finish when all is done.
Sometimes a ladder on top of the scaffold boards is needed....not me!
I stick to brushing from the ground or deck up, as far as my little arms will allow without tipping my head back too far. Neck injuries are no fun for the easily dizzied, but I can still ' brush on, back brush, ' with the best of them.
By the end of the weekend, the cabin is looking pretty good.
We still have 4 top logs on the west side to do. Bill says I can raise him up in the bucket of the tractor for those. I have done this but have to admit that I didn't particularly enjoy the ride. Let's see how he likes it.
Oh, the fun we have just GettinErDone!

Thanks for stopping and helping.
Have a great week. I will be posting more of our weekend soon.
It wasn't all work.

BlessYourHeart

10 comments:

Jill said...

Your hard work pays off...you have a beautiful cabin.

jack69 said...

Bill is gonna trust you on his tractor with HIM in the bucket? You gotta love that guy!
You guys are always working. An Yes, houses/cabins, like equipment, you have to keep it all working. You guys are somthing else. Your stamina amazes me.
I loved the cabin you guys done a wonderful job. I still can't believe you skinned every log yourself. Now the bugs got the nerve to eat the logs! Git 'em.

Love you, love to Bill (and all)
Sherry & Jack

imac said...

Its so great to take a holiday in a log cabin, we sometimes hire one just outside of Pickering N Yorks - on the edge of the valley which the Steam train runs thru.

Good work Denise, its well worth the hard work, my friend.

Clint said...

Whew! I'm tired. And hot. Could you please bring me a glass of iced tea?

A Primitive Homestead said...

Just hate that bugs can do that kind of damage. I have had a problem with bees boring holes in the gazebo here. All your hard work sure shows in the beauty of your cabin. Blessings!
Lara

Fred Alton said...

It's looking great, Dar! You and Bill do a nice job of maintenance.

trump said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, i love log cabins and wish i lived in one. Richard from Amish Stories.

Cher' Shots said...

Things built with 'wood' always seem to call for extra work in maintainence. But don't we love it so!! Our love for wood and every other form of nature must come from our upbringing! Mom and Dad taught us to love and respect the land.
'love & hugs from afar' sis

Cher' Shots said...

Things built with 'wood' always seem to call for extra work in maintainence. But don't we love it so!! Our love for wood and every other form of nature must come from our upbringing! Mom and Dad taught us to love and respect the land.
'love & hugs from afar' sis

Tanna said...

You can tell your cabin is tended with love. I was telling one of my children the other day that with any ownership comes responsibility... and maintenance!! LOL!

That hummingbird in the next post is beautiful. I am glad he revived after the crash!

Thank you so much for coming by so that I could find my way here! I look forward to seeing your version of the Ginkgo Shawl!! We are having shawl mania in my little knitting group. LOL!

Have a good evening. blessings ~ Tanna