About Me

My photo
Within the confines of this blog, you will find bits and pieces of the life and times of myself, my family and friend dear and near., far and wide, few and far between. You will find bits and pieces of my world, tho small to some, but huge to me. You will find everything from 'soup to nuts',; recipes, hobbies,crafts, gardenings,loves of my life, GrandLoves-a-Plenty, and even my pets... Sooo, if you can handle family life, enjoy the tour of my 'Stuffings'.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bartering for Cackle Berries & Wattling

Gene Takes a Bride, and why? To balance out his life., and his tractor. He's missing a tire here and his gal seems to balance things out just fine to get him around until he gets a new one!!!....LOL....
This is NOT Gene, and he did NOT take a Bride! This fella just looks so much like our bachelor neighbor that I could NOT resist...actually this picture came off the net., but it represents our Gene's sense of humor.
We are a community of bartering. Our good neighbor Gene needs help cutting down an iron gate. Bill is going to help him get that done so the good man stopped today with a barter. Not one, but 3 dozen Cackle Berries, as he calls them. The Eggs from his hens are so huge that they do not fit in the carton.
Size, in this case, does Not matter. Farm fresh eggs are always so much richer in flavor and better for you than the commercially raised eggs. I know Gene feeds his chickens the finest grains and takes good care of them. We are always happy to take eggs in trade for whatever he needs done, however, we do NOT need payment. Today its cutting a gate down, next week it may be, 'Just Because'. He's the fella who calls every morning to let me know that his feet have hit the ground and that it's going to be another nice day, whether or not the sun is shining. He always has a smile on his face and always has kind words to say. We still don't know how he does it, but he knows everyones birthday and anniversary, in the neighborhood. Whenever he knows that our GrandLoves are around, he brings them chocolate milk or A&W Root Beer. He sure loves the little kids and there isn't a one of them that doesn't just love the life out of him. Kids know kindness when they see it.
Gene always has a joke or two. Today he tells me as I'm carrying the eggs up the stairs, don't trip or you will have scrambled eggs.
But the joke of the day was about a preacher who was having trouble starting his lawn mower. He is pulling and pulling the pully and it just won't start. He asks ," How do you start this thing ", to the young man standing near him. The lad says, "You swear at it." The preacher says, "It's been so long since I've sworn, I don't think I remember how." The lad says, "You keep pulling, pulling and pulling on that thing, and it'll come back to ya!." LOL That's our Gene. Always a kind word and always a joke in good taste. Of course, always the best eggs.
We rounded out our day with another good meal. This time it was boneless, skinless chicken fixed two different ways. Both were marinated in a citrus lemon pepper marinate for an hour. Then one blackened, the other cornmeal crusted and baked. Both were good but we agreed the blackened was the best. We also had baked sweet potatoes with real butter melted on top, and Mama's lettuce, pea and onion salad with Miracle Whip, salt and pepper. My sisters know which one I mean. Top that plate of goods off with more black pepper and a tall mug of peach iced tea.
We still had work to do. Bill headed to the woods to split another pile of firewood while I finished up the 2nd Wattle on the north end of the deck. Preparation took half the morning and all afternoon just to clean out the bed of quack grass and do edging , but I finally got it respectable enough for another year. Here I always thought a wattle was that loose skin on the neck of a chicken. Who knew it is also such a fine decorative fence. Now I have two of them.
Tomorrow, I tackle 'Project 3', if my bod holds out. Until then,
Have a great one, whatever that will be, and God Bless You, Everyone!

10 comments:

Dianna said...

What a delightful post, Dar. Your neighbor Gene sounds like a blessing! Loved that picture on the tractor...even if it wasn't really Gene. Your meal sounds SO good. We love baked sweet potatoes also. Have you ever done them as French fries in the oven? Tasty that way, too.

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Gene sounds like just the kind of neighbor that everyone yearns for. He sounds wonderful. I haven't heard eggs called cackle berries since I was little! I had to snicker at that one. The dinner sounds delicious! It looks great too. Now I am hungry again.....

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

I love bartering...just bartered a tote bag for a haircut for my mom! I get tired just reading your blog post...do you ever sit down...;-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Dar: What a neat post showing the sharing that is done among neighbors. I think I'll go get breakfast.

Suz said...

Oh I love Gene
You have a community up there don't you
how wonderful
Boy that food looks good..so you are a good cook too........darn:)
I love that you have moments of the heart like I do....how can one describe them
so..what's for dinner tonight
Oh and the eggs....I am so jealous...they are the best fresh

Kay said...

Hi Dar. Thanks for stopping by. Wow, those brown eggs are beautiful. I'm only eating "Egg Beaters" now days. Anyway...you asked about my cholesterol and triglycerides. Really don't know how they are doing. Have not had them tested for several months. I'm still trying to watch what I'm eating and taking those OTC things that are supposed to help lowering them. The last time I went my numbers were as follows:

Total Cholesterol = 293 (down from 326)
Triglycerides = 213 (down from 326)
HDL = 50 (up from 47)
LDL = 200 (down from 214)
Cholesterol/High Density Lipoprotein = 5.9 (down from 6.9)

Kay

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how funny..... Gene would laugh if you showed him that picture, wouldn't he???? Does he have family??? Sounds like a wonderful man.

Those EGGS look fabulous.... They surely look different from those little white-shelled ones we eat from Walmart!!!!

Your life is just so full, Dar, and I'm so blessed to get to know you --through the world of blogging. Tell Mel hello... Does Colleen blog?

Hugs,
Betsy

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a sweet neighbor you have!!! And your wattle looks great!! Makes me think of that artist who creates outdoor sculptures with willow branches: Patrick Dougherty.

Cher' Shots said...

Even though Gene missed his chance to marry me, give the ole' fella a hug for me. I'm sure he'll sleep better once he knows I still love him. He's one of a kind for sure ~(I can already picture him blushing) wink wink!

jack69 said...

I looked back and said, how did I miss that tractor. hahahahahah Love the balance.

I remember farm fresh eggs. But those brown ones are the largest I have seen. Are they double yolk? They seem big enough for it.

And the food picture! I ain't commenting, but it looks delicious and not heavy in calories etc. I can tell that.

Take care, sending love an hugs from NC